Monday, May 23, 2005

Entry 2 for today

Jonathan Livingston Seagull – I don’t know if any of you have read this book – it isn’t very big (or long) and took me about 20 minutes to read BUT I will be going back and re-reading it as I know I didn’t take in all the messages there were the first time I read it. It is an amazing story about practice, believing in yourself and your abilities, and helping others. We don’t have to be limited in our expectations of ourselves – just because something has always been like that doesn’t mean we can’t or shouldn’t change it. I know that this applies to work places when you start somewhere new and you question why things are done a certain why – the most annoying thing is a reply “Because it’s always been done this way”. This also definitely applies to our eating habits and life styles – we didn’t get to be overweight by doing the right things – it was because we made bad choices (for whatever reasons) and we need to look to others (WW meetings, on-line support networks, friends, family etc) for advice on how to change our lives around so that we can be the healthy people we deserve to be.
I think that this support network is just like Jonathan – the people who have achieved their goals are helping those of us still struggling along. There are times when we just take the advice of people because we don’t know any better and then find out that, yes, that does work for us but there are also times when it doesn’t work for us, and, in those instances we should be looking for alternative advice until we find what is right for us. It is important to remember that we are all individuals and what works for one will not necessarily work for someone else BUT you will never know what will work for you until you try it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

Your post is so true Linda. I was saying on Cat's blog that each of us are attacking our weight loss issues every so slightly different - because we are all different. We have a core of similarities and that binds us together but enough differences to make us all interesting. And it is so true that we learn from each other. I have learnt from all the blogs I read and I believe that it has helped me lose the weight that I have. Either by being inspired, taking exercise or eating advice, or because someone allowed us to have a laugh on a day when we weren't feeling great.

Great post - have a great day. :)

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I love that book!
I read it when I was about 17 I think and have always remembered it ... although until now have not found a single other person who's read it :)
Now I want to hunt it down and read it again!
Cheers P

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home