Tuesday, September 27, 2005

I CAN do this !

Last night while I was at work I started to think about what I had done this past week – the mindless, thoughtless eating, the junk food eating, the ‘I’m missing Al eating’ and realised that while things were difficult for me now, I had to use some other mechanism to cope – I can’t keep turning to food to resolve an issue. I did realise this a while ago (as some of you may remember reading about it) but obviously it hasn’t become a habit for me yet as I still instinctively turned to food during this past week. I am not sure what I am going to use but will have to think about it very soon - pulling out my book and reading, drinking some water - I don't know - neither of those really appeal to me right now but I will have to find something to replace the 'reach for food' action.
Is this because when my head is in the right space, I am more conscious of what I am doing whereas when I am not quite in the right space, I go onto autopilot and just revert to a previous (bad) habit ?
Anyway, the long and the short of is that “If it is to be, it is up to me” – and I am going to use that to get through this week – one day at a time – one meal at a time – one hour at a time if I have to. I had a good day with water yesterday – am a little slow with it today because I had to go out this morning but I have got my jug here and it is going down.
I am going to do the best that I can with the food group choices this week and try to have more veggies although I have been good about eating fruit – definitely not my most favourite choice of something to eat.
I am going to try not to have any sugar points until Friday because I know that once I start with them, that is fatal and I can’t seem to stop. Maybe if I hadn’t had so many earlier in the week last week I would have been better over the weekend – oh well – maybe’s, could have’s, should have’s – none of them count so I will just do what I can this week.
Take care everyone and have a great day !

TFTD : Every exit is an entry to somewhere else

TIAGF : The ability to get back on track

7 Comments:

Blogger Briony said...

I can type and eat at the same time, that's not a problem for me! I also need to find something to keep me away from food right now though, maybe it's just that kind of weather, old habits die hard, even for the best of us.
Like you said Linda, we just have to take small steps, one hour, meal and day at a time til they all add up to something we can be proud of. All we're proving is that we're human, we need to learn from our triggers and try harder next time. We'll get there eventually. Have a good week,
Bri

2:43 PM  
Blogger Nancy Bou said...

I have just started planning by daily food in the morning which I find helps me stay on track.
Just take each meal as it comes and try to chose the healthier option everytime. You will soon get back on track!

Have a good week :0)

7:14 PM  
Blogger Kt said...

distraction is always good & I know we are trying to break away from such habits so i'm probably about to offer bad advice but.... How about keeping chopped up vege sticks in the fridge & having them with hummus or salsa - either low or no point, add a few points worth of rice crackers & make a little platter - it does feel like comfort food!

8:03 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I was thinking of what I do when the sad munchies hit and coming to the pc and blogging is definitely one of them but I am finding when I do that nothing else in the house gets done. I think that I may buy myself a new cleaning kit (what do I mean new - just a kit will do) and start cleaning the house at night when the munchies hit. Then I can sit and blog.

Thanks for the post. Your thoughts and others comments (thanks kiwigirls) have given me some food for thought (ouch! that's a bad pun) LOL

Have a great day Linda. :)

9:54 AM  
Blogger Learning Leaders said...

Of course you can.....you already have and now just need to focus on a different kind of need - maintaining. As sad as it sounds I have started to do cleaning and tidying around the house as a distraction to munching.....I feel a lot better about firstly haveing a lovely looking house and secondly staying away from binges. It has only been my new attack mode for this week so I will see how it keeps going. Have a great week.lb

9:59 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

I think Dr Phil says it best, "Remember, you don't ever break a habit. If you want to get rid of bad behavior, you have to replace it with something positive — something that will make you stronger instead of weaker". Create that NO FAIL ENVIRONMENT :-) For me, that's not buying the junk in the first place.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

You could take up smoking to combat the comfort eating. Okay, that is prolly not such a good idea (and it doesn't really work anyway).

Maybe you need to take on some kind of big project that will absorb your thoughts until Al gets back. If I want to be oblivious to everything for periods of time, I do a web site redesign (hey, I'm a geek) but a craft project or something like Jodie's cross stitch might help. Or arranging all the photos into nice albums. Or repainting the house.

I wouldn't recommend cleaning, but then I never do if I can help it.

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home