Monday, April 18, 2005

The start of a new chapter

Well, after getting so much inspiration and motivation from reading other people's journals, I have finally decided to start my own journal.
I haven't always been fat - in fact, when I got married 17 years ago I weighed 46kg and was 5'7" tall - definitely not an ounce of extra fat there. I stayed around the 50-52kg mark for a number of years until I started to study part time while working. Then the weight just piled on. During my second semester of studying I fell pregnant and then the fun really started - I was always hungry and just ate and ate.
When Kaitlin was born on 12 May 1992, I weighed 95 kgs - I lost some of the weight but since then it has been a constant yo-yo with me losing weight - at times even getting to goal - but then landing up putting it all back on again PLUS MORE each time !
The last time I joined WW I was 86.1kg - the heaviest I had been in a long time. I lost 11.2 to get to 74.8kg before it all fell apart again in November last year. I went back to WW at the end of February this year at 79.1 and after weighing in tonight am now down to 75.9 - a total loss now of 10.2kg !! I have to say that I was very excited to be over the 10kg mark again.
My attitude towards my weight loss has changed since I first started - I would expect to lose 1kg a week and I would be devestated if I didn't. I would get home and Alan (my husband) and Kaitlin (our daughter) would say "Well done" for whatever I had lost but I always felt like it wasn't enough. They would say that losing 0.1 is better than gaining 0.1 but I used to feel that for all the hard work I put in I deserved better than a 0.1 loss. Now I am not so hard on myself and my goals are now probably more realistic at 0.5kg per week.
I am also setting myself some mini goals with rewards along the way for reaching those goals. I would like to be at goal by my 40th birthday on 21st July - that would mean 0.7 loss per week - do-able but maybe not that realistic - so maybe I will go the goal of 0.5kg per week and see how I go. If I am not there but am close enough I will be happy with that.
Rather than ramble on any more tonight I will leave you with my thought for the day :
We have to learn to be our own best friend because we fall too easily into the trap of being our own worst enemy.
Until the next time - take care, be good and look after yourself ! Have a great week.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Kirsty @ My Home Truths said...

As I'm nearing the end of my own WW journey I so get where you are coming from with this post. Don't you just hate the weeks you lose just 0.1kg? I had to keep telling myself the same mantra that a loss is better than a gain and slow and steady wins the race.

What I like the most about this post is that you did jump on that journey and you have become more fit and you already had your thought for the day way back then. Thanks so much for linking up to I Must Confess!

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home